Customers and Suppliers are ‘Trading Partners’. Every Trading Partner most likely will have a list of contact types, e.g. Sales contacts, billing and shipping addresses.
You must have uploaded your Customers and Suppliers before you upload their respective Contacts.
Types of contacts are:
- Billing Address
- Shipping Address
- Payment Address
Some Contacts are none of the above, they’re just a Contact. For example, a Sales Order will most probably have three Contacts:
- the purchasing contact i.e. the individual or main contact who placed the order.
- the billing contact and address i.e. the individual or department responsible for paying you
- the shipping address
Similarly, a Purchase Order will most probably have three Contacts:
- the purchasing contact i.e. the individual or main contact in your business who placed the order.
- the billing contact and address i.e. the individual or department responsible for paying the supplier
- the shipping address
You can create a new contact from:
- Contacts List
Go to the master e.g. Customer, and Actions>New Contact or the Contacts List and click +.
If you need to extend the ‘Contact’ master to enable you to add additional fields in which you can store data, then please search for, or refer to ‘Working with Customization’.
As is the case in any import task you should try to successfully import a single contact into Salesorder.com before you upload all of your Contacts.
- 1.Go to Setup>Import data and look for and download the ‘Contacts’ ‘Download Template’.
- 2.This is a .xlsx file. If you don’t have Microsoft Excel installed, don’t worry. You can upload the Contacts template to Google Drive, open the file with Sheets, populate the file and download it as a .XLSX file. If you use this method then we’ve seen cases where the dropdown information embedded in some columns can stop working in Google Sheets. If this happens just refer to the ‘Dropdown data’ sheet in the import template for the correct values and syntaxes.
- 3.Pay attention to the ‘Address Type’ column. Make sure you enter the appropriate type in here i.e. Billing, Shipping or Payment.
- 4.Make sure you read the notes on the columns (mouse over the column name).
- 5.For more information on Contact, fields search for or refer to the reference guide ‘Organiser’
- 6.Paste the data from your old systems into the corresponding columns in the import template.
- 7.Import the template using the corresponding ‘Upload Data’ action.
- 8.Check the data looks good in Salesorder.
- 9.If you encounter any errors you cannot resolve by ‘divide and conquer’ or a similar method like Kepner Tregoe (search the web) then please contact [email protected]
- 10.We have also seen problems that prevent imports which can be caused by unusual sequences of characters in import data i.e $;? If you think this is the problem then please contact [email protected] for assistance.